Cacapon River Stewardship Guide
Here are the top 12 actions landowners can take to directly improve the health and longevity of the Cacapon River.
For Your Riverbank
- Protect the riparian—plant native trees, shrubs, and grasses.
- Prevent erosion.
- Practice “mindful mowing.”
On Your Land
- Plant native trees.
- Remove invasive species.
- Use lawn and garden fertilizer wisely.
In Your Home
- Maintain your septic system.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Keep pills, harsh chemicals, and microplastics out of the drain.
In the Community
- Volunteer for a river cleanup.
- Don’t litter.
- Report illegal trash dump locations.